- 1 loaf (16 ounces) King’s Hawaiian Bread, cut into cubes (8 cups)
- 1 bag (5 ounces) sweetened dried cranberries
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 large Dierbergs eggs
- 1 cup Dierbergs sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2½ cups Dierbergs whole milk
- 1 can (14 ounces) whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 bottle (750 ml) Cabernet Sauvignon
- 3 tablespoons Dierbergs sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, OR 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Sweetened whipped cream
FOR BREAD PUDDING: Place bread cubes on jellyroll pan; let stand uncovered several hours or overnight to dry out.
Place dried bread cubes in 9 x 13-inch baking dish that has been lightly coated with no-stick cooking spray. Scatter dried cranberries and chocolate chips over top, tucking them among bread cubes.
In large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Whisk in milk and cranberry sauce. Pour milk mixture over bread mixture, pressing down gently to moisten bread. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes for bread to absorb moisture, pressing occasionally on bread to evenly moisten.
Bake in 350°F. oven until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes.
FOR SAUCE: In large nonreactive saucepan, combine wine and sugar. Split vanilla bean in half; scrape seeds into wine. Discard pod.
Bring wine mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1½ cups, about 30 to 40 minutes. Whisk cornstarch mixture into wine along with pepper; simmer stirring constantly until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Serve warm, or cover and chill up to 3 days.
TO SERVE: Spoon Bread Pudding into dessert dishes; drizzle Vanilla Cabernet Sauce over top and add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Serving Size: Per Serving (without Vanilla Cabernet Sauce and whipped cream)
Cholesterol: 87 mg
Fat: 9 g
Sodium: 170 mg
Carbohydrates: 66 g
Protein: 9 g
Saturated Fat: N/A