- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1 whole frozen turkey (about 12 pounds), thawed
- 2 navel oranges, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 ribs celery, cut into chunks
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 to 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- ¼ cup Dierbergs butter, melted
- Perfect Turkey Gravy (see recipe link in Directions)
In small bowl, combine salt and pepper; set aside.
If needed, remove giblets and neck from inside of turkey. Place turkey on large cutting board. Using paper towels, pat turkey dry inside and out.
Lightly season inside with 1 teaspoon of the salt and pepper mixture. Place oranges, onion, celery, bay leaves, and thyme inside turkey. Brush outside of turkey with melted butter; sprinkle remaining salt and pepper mixture over top.
Place turkey in large, shallow roasting pan. Roast in 425°F. oven 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F., roast until internal temperature of largest section of thigh is 170°F., about an additional 1½ to 2 hours.
Place turkey on large serving platter. Reserve roasting pan with drippings for Perfect Turkey Gravy. Tent turkey loosely with foil and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
(For food safety, do not consume cooked vegetables inside turkey cavity.)
Serving Size: Per 3-ounce cooked portion (meat and skin)
Cholesterol: 108 mg
Fat: 12 g
Sodium: 334 mg
Carbohydrates: <1 g
Protein: 24 g
Saturated Fat: N/A